Arguably the most significant anniversary celebration, your 50th anniversary is truly a golden one and should be celebrated as such. I distinctly remember attending my grandparents 50th anniversary vow renewal and the feeling of inspiration and awe I had as they said their "I do's" once again. While the 50th anniversary is touted as the golden anniversary, it's also one of inspiration, admiration, and undying love. Whether you're looking for ideas for your spouse, grandparents, or other loved ones, remember that the best 50th anniversary gifts are those with a personal touch from the heart. For instance, go with the "golden" theme, but put a personal twist on it like in our gift suggestions below.
Traditional Gift: Gold
- Send her a bouquet of Golden ribbon roses. These 18" hand-made paper roses are personalized with your names and anniversary date. These unique and romantic "flowers" last a lifetime, just like the two of you!
- Send her a single 24k gold rose. This amazing rose is a real, live rose that has been preserved in 24k gold. It's a perfect gift that will stand the test of time just like your relationship has for the last 50 years.
- Give her a sentimental gold anniversary ring engraved with "Two Hearts, One Love". It also features your birthstones on it.
- A 14k gold heart shaped pendant with your favorite photo or a wedding photo of the two of you engraved (yes, engraved!) into the front and a romantic message or your anniversary date engraved in the back. It's unique and will last forever.
- Splurge! It may be a blue box, but it's full of gold inside.
- Get professional portraits taken of the two of you again and frame them side-by-side (in a gold frame!) with your original wedding portrait.
- An afternoon enjoying some golden sunflowers.
- Gold jewelry with a special message engraved.
- A gold watch with a special message engraved.
- Create an anniversary scrapbook chronicling your 50 years in a gold leather bound album. Start with your wedding day and, while a standard scrapbook would feature all of your important life events (and you should include them here as well), focus more on those small events that have happened over the years that stand out in your mind. Enlist your family and friends in the project as well as they've been an integral part of your marriage through your years. Ask them to each create a few pages to include in the scrapbook. These pages can include photos of important events that you all were a part of and memories of you through the years.
- Renew your vows with 50th anniversary gold wedding bands.
- Take a once-in-a-lifetime anniversary trip to the Australian Gold Coast.
- Send her an orchid preserved with an acrylic glaze and trimmed with 24k gold.
- Keep the traditional anniversary gold gift theme by wrapping any gift in gold paper or in a gold gift bag!
Modern Gift: Gold
- Any of the "Traditional" Gold gifts would work well for the modern gift selection as well.
- Give her 50 roses to celebrate 50 years.
- Give her 50 of whatever flower you used in your wedding or perhaps a replica of her wedding bouquet.
- Relive your wedding from 50 years ago by watching your wedding video (if you have one!), looking at wedding photos together, and reflecting on the day that started the rest of your lives together.
- Create a celebration video that includes things like photos through the years, meaningful music, and congratulatory messages from family and friends.
- Celebrate with a big bash! 50 years is an amazing accomplishment that should be celebrated and honored with friends and family.
- Step out for the evening and relive your early days together as a couple. Rent the car model that you took for your first date and relive the night that started it all.
- Match the number of gifts to your anniversary: Give him/her 50 small gifts for the fiftieth anniversary.
- Give them a 50th anniversary gift basket full of gifts from their anniversary year.
- Create an anniversary time capsule!
- Be sure to request an anniversary greeting from the White House. They send these out by request for 50th and 60th anniversaries.
1964 "Relive the Past" Ideas
I always love the idea of flashing back to the past and reliving memories of those years because really, what is life without the memories, especially in your marriage? Below are fun items to bring back the sights and sounds from when you got married.
- Hardbound 1964 Book - Features pictures from 50 years ago.
- 1964 DVD Greeting Card - A greeting card/DVD that features all of the highlights of the year.
- 1964's Hot #1's - The best music of the year!
Homemade Gift Ideas
- Create a gold throw blanket with gold colored yarns and embroider their names and wedding date into it. Paint anything with gold paint. Create gold colored candles and use them during a candlelit dinner.