The traditional 17th anniversary gift is shell, which immediately brings to mind one of the most romantic spots, the beach.
Keep in mind that after the 15th year, only years that are multiples of five are included on the modern gift list.
Traditional Gift: Shell
- Send her a bouquet of beautiful shell roses.
- Get professional photos taken for your anniversary and frame one in a shell frame.
- You can find amazing handmade shell jewelry on Etsy, including bracelets, necklaces, and more.
Buy a bag of shells from a craft store (even better if you have some from a trip to the shore that you took together!) and frame them or use them as the front of a homemade anniversary card.
- A box of gourmet chocolates shaped like shells.
Traditional Gift: Furniture
- A romantic set of bedroom furniture with a bed that you'll want to spend a lot of time in together.
- A porch swing for your porch, patio, or deck to enjoy each other's company.
- A hammock to nap in together.
- A recliner to watch TV.
- Go practical and get your partner something they've always wanted for the house (a new couch, a new chair, etc.)
- Or surprise them with something for a hobby (a table for a craft room, gaming chair, etc.).
Things to Do
- Search for shells together as you take an evening walk along the beach. Enjoy a picnic together during sunset.
- While shell searching together, point out a particularly beautiful one, then have her pick it up to find an anniversary ring/earrings/etc. underneath! This would require a quick maneuver or some planning ahead (and no rogue waves!) but could turn out to be pretty romantic!
- Cook a homemade dinner for your partner, making sure to select a "fancier" pasta recipe using pasta shells (such as these Pasta Shells with Portobello Mushrooms.
- Surprise your partner with an intimate evening that starts out with you wearing a hula skirt and shell bra.
- Make homemade chocolates using a shell mold.
- Take a furniture repurposing class.
- When you think shells, you think of the beach, so take a trip to any tropical location!
- Give her 17 roses (or whatever flower you used in your wedding) to celebrate 17 years.
- Relive the past, watch your wedding video again, look at your wedding album together, and reflect on the last year.
- Match the number of gifts to your anniversary: Give him/her 17 small gifts for the seventeenth anniversary.
- Create an anniversary time capsule!