If you're feeling the penny-pinch in your budget, but still want something romantic, check out our collection of cheap dates. All it takes it a little creativity to come up with a long list of affordable dates. In fact, you can have just as much fun dreaming up your cheap dates as you will on the date itself! For those who need some inspiration, look no further.
Take a date to your local bookstore or coffee shop. It's a great place to sit and talk and it's cheap (think coffee and unlimited refills!). While there, check out their event schedule. Many book and coffee shops host book signings, lectures, poetry readings, and live music. Often these events are completely free to customers.
It's also fun to just window shop at local retail shops.
- Pick up your local newspaper, city guide, or check a website like CitySearch that lists upcoming entertainment and events. You're sure to find lots of events such as concerts in the park, local festivals, and more. Many of these events are completely free, while others may have a small fee.
- For high culture at low-costs, head to your local museum of art or history. Be sure to check online for coupons or discounts (may offer discounts on their websites). You may want to call ahead as some mueseums offer 'free' days or additional discounts (i.e. students, seniors, etc).
- Skip the expensive dinner out and instead head to your favorite restaurant for dessert and coffee. Depending on the restaurant, you can expect to spend between $5-$15 per person for dessert and coffee. Up the romance factor while saving even more by sharing a dessert.
- Call your local bookstores for upcoming events, such as poetry readings or lectures. Poetry readings, in particular, are surprisingly romantic. Enjoy a cup of coffee together along with words of romance and inspiration.
- While Broadway and touring shows can cost anywhere from $50-$100 (or in some cases even more!) per ticket, it may seem out of reach. If you have a local community theater, check out the performance dates as tickets are usually less than $20. If you have a nearby college or high school, check our their drama schedules as well. It may not be broadway, but it's sure to be entertaining!