So you've just gone on a date with a girl that you recently met and the date seemed to go fairly well from your perspective. You had great conversation, she smiled a lot, and things just seemed to click. How can you tell after one date if she's interested in your or not? Even if she's attracted to you, she's not likely to come right out and tell you on a first date. So, how do you tell?
While this has been a perplexing challenge for generations of men with many experts weighing in with their opinions, a few reliable truths have emerged. Here are five conclusive answers to the questions to that one important question -- is she attracted to me?
If you're trying to figure out if she likes you, this guide cues you in on the basics of how to flirt with women and helps you learn how to know if she's flirting with you. These flirting basics, along with other behavioral cues, will help you determine if a girl likes you!
How to Tell if She's Flirting With You: Non-verbal Cues
Women give off several nonverbal, flirtatious cues to signify that they are interested and attracted to you. The body language a woman uses around someone she's attracted to is one of the easiest signs to detect. You simply need to know what cues to look for and be observant enough to pick up on them!
Most of these flirtatious cues exude sexual suggestiveness, so you may naturally pick up on them. However, the trained eye can pick up so much more. For instance, did you know that the most common flirtatious behavior a woman engages in is the hair flip. When a woman runs her fingers through her hair of flips her hair, she's generally trying to get your attention.
Other common cues include a simple, innocent touch on the arm, shoulder or back. Making an excuse to touch someone's hair or face in a friendly or playful manner is a clear sign that a woman is feeling affectionate. Other physical cues include frequent or prolonged eye contact, imitating the other person's posture or movements, leaning in towards the person and rarely facing the opposite direction. Genuine smiles, laughter and blushing are generally positive signs of attraction.
Here's a list of behaviors women typically engage in while flirting:
- Sways her hips while walking.
- Tilts her head and/or exposes her neck.
- Licks or bites her lips.
- She blushes.
- Tosses, plays, or twirls her hair.
- Crosses and uncrosses her legs. Or her crossed leg is pointed towards you. Or, she's rocking her crossed leg back and forth.
- Slips her foot in and out of her shoe.
- Adjusts the tone of her voice to match yours.
- Adjusts her talking speed to match yours.
- Holds a lingering gaze a few seconds longer than usual.
- Engages in friendly teasing.
- Winks at you.
- Raises her eyebrows, lowers them, then smiles.
- Flutters her eyelashes.
- Smiles suggestively.
- Casually touches to your arm, shoulder, thigh, or hand.
- Plays with her hair or twists in around her fingers while looking at you.
- Raises or lowers her voice volume to match yours.
- Touches her cheek or rubs her chin.
- Exposes her palms.
- Rubs her wrists up and down.
- Has tall, straight posture while sitting or walking
- Puts her fingernail between her teeth.
- Plays with her jewelry.
- Raises her eyebrows.
If your date is giving you any of these cues, a responsive kiss at the end of a date is very promising.
How to Tell if She's Flirting With You: Verbal Cues
While non-verbal cues can be a little more difficult to pick up on, you can easily tell if a woman is interested by her verbal cues. Did she laugh at your jokes? Did she giggle or laugh when you laugh? If so, she's likely into you. Laughing with you is one of the tell-tale flirting signs!
The conversation is flowing, but you're unsure if she's interested. Then she starts asking questions. A game of 20 questions might not be the first thing on a guy's agenda for a first date, but ladies who are hunting potential mates will show genuine interest in a man's job, living situation, family, future plans, lifestyle, health and even his past relationships. This should not be confused with polite conversation to fill dead air space, nor should it be assumed that the woman is only interested in affluent mates. It's just a practical evaluation. Another possible sign that she is considering someone for a serious relationship is when she makes a point of introducing someone to her friends and family. She's seeking their opinions and approval.
Things to Watch Out For
Now that you know what to look for when flirting, here are few things that you want to avoid. If you notice a woman exhibiting any of these behaviors, it generally means that she's not interested and that it's time to move on.
- She's hunched over.
- She taps her fingers on the table or on her glass.
- She taps her foot or keeps her legs uncrossed.
- She won't look you directly in the eye.
How to Approach Her
If all has gone well and you've read her cues properly, it's time to move forward. Tread carefully here though because you're sending out signals while approaching her that could make or break you before you even begin!
- Have self-confidence and exude this when walking towards her. Keep your head held high and your chest out.
- Smile. Smile. Smile.
- Keep it easy going and carefree.
- Don't immediately invade her personal space as it's an aggressive behavior and will generally scare her off.
- Have a good opening line prepared and practiced. You can choose based on the situation, but make sure that it's unique, clever, and most definitely not cheesy or overly suggestive. Humor tends to work well.
- Tell her your name and that you'd like to spend some time with her talking.
Once you're there, it's time to get the conversation started.
- Speak openly and honestly.
- Nod or give verbal cues such as 'uh huh' or 'yeah' to show that you're listening and validating her comments.
- A little humor is always a good thing. Did you know that the majority of women say that they're looking for someone who can make them laugh?
- Don't talk about yourself too much. Answer her questions, but be sure to ask questions about her as well.
- Find common ground. The most important aspect of your conversation is to find out what you have in common, be it hobbies, friends, jobs, or whatnot.
- Remember that while most men define themselves by their job or career, women are generally more interested in you spend your off time. Make sure that you let her know.
The way a woman dresses gives you clues to his personality. Pay attention to her clothing, right down to her shoes, and you'll learn more about her.
- Is she dressed seductively with cleavage showing?
- Is she wearing open-toed sandals? The more open her shoes are, the more willing she is to be open with you.
- Is her appearance neat and clean?
Other Things To Look For.
There's a few behavioral signs to look out for as well...
- Is she available? A woman who is truly interested will likely clear her busy schedule in a heartbeat for the chance to spend time with the object of her affection. When she returns all calls and texts promptly and starts mentioning ideas for future dates and plans, it's quite possible that she's smitten.
- Did she give out personal information like her phone number or address? If a woman who is normally reserved and cautious gives out personal information, it means she has invested some serious thought into the character of the one she has entrusted.