Ever wondered how the rich and famous get engaged? Do they create elaborate, up-scale proposals or take the more traditional route? If you're looking for ideas or just like reading romantic proposal stories, here are the true, real-life proposal stories of celebrity engagements.
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: Tom Cruise proposed to wife Katie Holmes after a candlelit dinner at Le Jules Verne restaurant at the Eiffel Tower after a whirlwind romance.
- Seal and Heidi Klum: When Seal proposed to Heidi Klum, he did it two days before Christmas at 14,000 feet in Whistler, B.C. He surprised his bride-to-be in a custom built igloo on the top of an glacier in uncharted terrain. A little over the top, but definitely romantic.
- Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling: Dean McDermott had a little help from his sister when proposing to wife Tori Spelling. He proposed on Christmas Eve at a Christmas tree farm in Toronto, Canada. Dean's sister helped by putting lights for a half a mile leading the couple to a table for two surrounded by decorated Christmas trees. The couple rode up in a horse-drawn carriage and Dean proposed.
- John Light and Neve Campbell: British actor John Light went the traditional route when he proposed to girlfriend Neve Campbell. He got down on one knee and recited Shakespeare before he presented her with the ring.
- Chris Ivery and Ellen Pompeo: Record producer Chris Ivery proposed to girlfriend Ellen Pompeo, star of Grey's Anatomy, on her 37th birthday after eating a birthday breakfast together at home.
- Corey Hardrict and Tia Mowry: Corey proposed to Tia on Christmas Day in a prankster way. He first gave her a card telling her that he loved her and wanted to give her a promise ring to work towards the future. Mowry's younger brother then brought over a piece of paper that read "Psych!". At the same time, Mowry's other brother started playing the Jagged Edge song "Let's Get Married." Hardrict then got down on one knee and proposed for real.
- Bill Rancic and Giuliana DePandi: Trumps first apprentice, Rancic, had girlfriend Giuliana, an E! news anchor, flying high with his proposal. When DePandi arrived in Chicago, Rancic had a limo waiting, which whisked her away to a nearby helipad. Rancic, who was waiting with her favorite pizza and champagne, proposed mid-air as the couple took a ride over downtown Chicago, taking in the holiday lights.
- Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood: At a "Legends in Bronze" event where larger-than-life bronze statues honoring 10 country legends, including Brooks, were revealed, Garth Brooks surprised everyone. After Brooks' statue was revealed, the country super-star got down on one knee in front of 7,000 fans and popped the question to girlfriend and fellow country artist, Trisha Yearwood.
- Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson: While vacationing in Hawaii, Nick popped the question to girlfriend Jessica Simpson on a yacht off the Hawaiian coast. The proposal can be seen in the couple''s MTV series, "Newlyweds".
- Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush: Murray pictured romance when he popped the question to "One Tree Hill" co-star, Sophia Bush. He proposed in Australia at a tennis court that he adorned with with 20 bouquets of roses and 500 lit candles spelling out a special message for Bush.
- Aaron Carter and Kari Anne Peniche: Aaron Carter popped the question to girlfriend Piniche in a spur of the moment decision in Las Vegas. While the pair was onstage in front of 200 people during the Playboy Comedy Tour at the Palms Casino Resort, Aaron surprised Kari (and everyone else) with a proposal.
- Mark Burnett and Roma Downey: Burnett, creator of the hit show Survivor, got down on one knee and proposed to Downey on a moonlit beach in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. The pair were vacationing over Thanksgiving and had a lot to be thankful for when they returned.
- Brooke Burke and David Charvet: The former Baywatch star hosted a summertime party and popped the question to girlfriend Burke during the bash.
- Benji Madden and Sophie Monk: Good Charlotte's Benji Madden proposed to girlfriend Sophie Monk while in Australia on New Year's Eve. According to Madden, love is "the most rewarding thing in the world. It makes everything else in your life more rewarding. Your work, your family. Home, everything. It's great. It's a singer/songwriter thing - we're just hopeless romantics."
- Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow: The 7-time winner of the Tour de France rowed girlfriend Sheryl Crow out in a little fishing boat on a lake. While coasting along the water, the motor went out and Lance, who had been planning a proposal, popped the question. While the moment was picture perfect, one thing was missing. "I felt bad... I didn't have the ring with me." said Armstrong. It didn't matter though because according to Crow, "It was very romantic."
- Jordana Brewster and Andrew Form: The actress and director from Texas Chainsaw Massacre found love while making the horror flick. After dating for a year, Form proposed on their one-year anniversary. While vacationing in San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara, CA (where John and Jackie Kennedy honeymooned), Brewster was surprised by a hotel room full of candles and a diamond ring.
- Ryan Phillipe and Reese Witherspoon: While vacationing in Charleston, SC at The Planter's Inn, a romantic B&B, Ryan popped the question while serving her waffles with strawberries and cream in bed.
- Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich: After scheming together on Survivor All-Stars, which Amber won, Rob popped the question during the live season finale by getting down on one knee in front of a shocked Amber (who was wearing an I ♥ Rob t-shirt).
- Quentin Richardson and Brandy: The NBA star proposed to singer girlfriend, Brandy, in front of close friends and family at a private reception at L.A.'s Century Club. When she arrived, the club was decorated with rose petals everywhere and Quentin with a ring.
- Nick Cannon and Selita Ebanks: Nick proposed to new fiancée Selita after they left the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Gala. The couple was chauffeured in a Rolls Royce to Times Square where the words "Selita, will you marry me?" were projected on a giant MTV jumbotron.
- Jennifer Morrison and Jesse Spencer: After several faulted attempts at proposing to his House co-star, Jesse finally found the perfect romantic setting. On a trip to Paris, Spencer took Morrison to the Eiffel tower, where he handed her a box containing a ring and proposed in French, "Veux-tu m'epouser?"
- Jimmy Fallon and Nancy Juvonen: Fallong proposed to girlfriend Juvonen on a dock at sunset at her family's home at Lake Lake Winnipesaukee, where On Golden Pond was filmed. According to a friend, he surprised her with a Neil Lane design one-of-a-kind ring.
- Jimmy Fallon and Nancy Juvonen: The funny man kept his proposal to Juvonen, Drew Barrymore's long-time business partner, a serious matter. "It was serious. I did the whole one knee thing. I tried not to cry before she did. I was breaking down a little bit," he says. "I don't even remember what I said."
- Eli Manning and Abby McGrew: The NY Giants quarterback proposed to his long-time girlfriend with a sparkling diamond down on one knee. According to a NY Daily News source "it was really low-key - it happened at home at a very unexpected moment."
- Jason Wahler and Katja Decker-Sadowski: Wahler, famous for his days on MTV's Laguna Beach and his stint as The Hills' Lauren Conrad's boyfriend, proposed to his girlfriend Katja during a housewarming party in front of a group of friends. The engagement announcement can be seen on MTV's The Hills: Surprise Engagement episode.
- Andrew Firestone and Ivana Bozilovic: The ex-bachelor proposed to girlfriend Ivana while alone on the beach prior to a surprise 30th birthday party that he had planned for her. "Just being able to be there with all our friends and family was the most special moment of my whole life," he told Us Magazine.
- Vince Vaughn and Kyla Weber - Actor Vince Vaughn proposed to his girlfriend on Valentine's Day. According to Vaugh to Ellen on her show (from People Magazine): "Valentine's Day rolled around and I figured this is not a ship to be missed, because I will not forget this date. So Valentine's Day was the day that I asked her. [It] worked out great because it would have been kind of weird to have talked about [getting engaged] and then skipped Valentine's Day as if who knows when this thing is coming."
Dave Annable and Odette Yustman - Brothers & Sisters star Dave Annable popped the question to girlfriend Odette Yustman over Valentine's Day weekend (2010) at the spot where they "feel in love." When he pulled out the ring, a shocked Yustman exclaimed "That's not real."
"You see the movies, and the girl is like, 'Yes! Yes!' and they're so happy. But she was like, 'What are you doing?!' " said Annable.
Once Yustman realized that the proposal was real, she happily -- and excitedly -- accepted. "We were doing cartwheels," she reveals, "and screaming, 'We're getting married! WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!' "
Cheyne Whitney and Meghan Rickey - Amazing Race winners Cheyne Whitney and Meghan Rickey are engaged after winning season 15 of the popular reality show!.
After Cheyne fake-proposed on Jimmy Fallon, Brides magazine contacted the couple to see if Meghan would pose in a wedding dress for the magazine. Cheyne instead intervene and got the magazine to help with his real proposal!
On February 24, 2010, after spending a romantic weekend in San Diego, came the big moment. "We stayed downtown together," Cheyne said, "and Sunday we went on a helicopter ride off the coast, had lunch at a winery, went home and then did a walk down memory lane. We went to the elementary school we met at, the middle school we always used to hang out at, the high school we became really good friends at, and then went to this little lookout point where we've been going since we started dating."
At this little lookout point, Cheyne gave Meghan a copy of the April issue of Brides magazine.
"He told me he had some rings to show me in the magazine," Rickey says, "and I was like, 'Okay, that's kind of weird,' and he opened up the page and I saw my name first at the top and was like, 'What the heck?' And saw our picture at the bottom, and I just read it and I could not believe it."
The words read, "Meghan, will you marry me?" Check out the photo at People.com.
Meghan admits being happily shocked by his proposal. Cheyne added "I kind of handed her the magazine, and she was taking it in and I pulled out the ring at the moment and got down on my knee, and I think it kind of sunk in for her right then. I opened up the box and I just told her that I've known since we started dating that she was the one."
- Tia Mowry and Cory Hardrict - On Christmas Day 2006, Cory told Tia that he wanted to give her a promise ring. With her entire family watching during holiday celebrations, he yelled "Psych!" and got down on one knee, presenting her with a 1.5 carat diamond engagment ring and asking her to marry him.
- Antonio Pierce and Jocelyn Maldonado - In February 2007, Antonio Pierce surprised girlfriend Maldonado with a helicopter ride over Manhattan. After the flight, the two enjoyed dinner at Brooklyn's The River Café, which is famouse for it's chocolate Brooklyn Bridge cake. Pierce, trying to be creative, worked with the restaurant's manager to surprise Jocelyn with the cake, topped with pink rose petals and an engagement ring.
- Howie Dorough and Leigh Boniello - Howie, famous for his Backstreet Boys days, went to a New Year's Eve party at Leigh's fathers home. Just before the stroke of midnight, Howie made a toast and presented Leigh with a with a custom-designed three-stone diamond engagement ring. Says Howie "I figured, what better timing, because all of her family was going to be there, including her 92-year-old grandmother."
- Roselyn Sanchez and Eric Winter - Just 2 days before Christmas, Roselyn & Eric were floating in a double kayak, set in a romantic scene of shimmering water under afull moon off the coast of the Puerto Rican island Vieques. Winter fave an "amazing speech" according to Sanchez, then pulled out a 4.3-carat brilliant-cut diamond ring by Michael Barin, Sanchez's favorite jeweler.
- Anna Chlumsky and Shaun So - Chlumsky was hoping her 7-year anniversary with college sweetheart Shaun So would result in a proposal. While having breakfast a local diner a week before their anniversary, Anna was telling Shaun about a cocktail ring a friend was selling. Shaun, who had been carrying the engagement ring around for 2 weeks in anticipation of the perfect moment, pulled out the 1-carat, cathedral-mounted, radiant-cut bauble and asked, "Does it look anything like this?"
- Guiliana DePandi and Bill Rancic - It started innocently enough with DePandi asking Rancic if he had a girlfriend after interviewing him in 2006. Eight months later, Bill surprised her with a helicopter flight over his home town of Chicago, complete with champagne, Giordano's deep-dish pizza (Guiliana's favorite), Michael Buble tunes piped into the headset, and a romantic proposal.
- Jeri Ryan and Christophe Eme - According to Ryan, Christophe covered her eyes and led her into the bedroom where there were candles everywhere, champagne, and a canvas that was painted with the message "And you come with me forever" in French and "Grow old along with me" in English. Christophe then proposed to Jeri with a custom-designed diamond engagement ring.
- Jason Priestley and Naomi Lowde - While in the hospital after a race car accident in 2002, Priestley knew that Lowde, who stood by side through the entire ordeal, was the one. Two years later, during a trip to London, Jason proposed on the very street corner where he and Naomi first met, presenting her with an emerald-cut, three-diamond ring by Steven Pomerantz.
- Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell - After meeting in Vegas and dating for a year and a half, O'Connell proposed to Romijn in New York with a diamond ring from Simon G. "I got down on one knee, asked her to marry me and said, 'You better say yes' a couple of times -- there was a little bit of a pause on her part," says O'Connell. "Not true!" claims Romijn.